[Kde-accessibility] Broken Sticky Keys (Bug 41778)

David Parker david@dkpweb.net
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:17:29 -0500

First let me say thanks Bill for your research. I commited the sin of sen=
ding=20
an email in frustration. I apologize for the tone of my earlier message.

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 04:22 am, Bill Haneman wrote:
> BY the way:
>
> The sticky keys behavior reported below is a "feature" of XKB; it has a
> timeout after which it turns itself off.  It also can be configured to
> turn itself off when two keys are pressed at the same time.

hmmm, can't adopt the M$ habits of calling bugs features... The way this=20
feature should work is not to timeout, but expose an interface where the=20
timeout can be enabled. Someone enabling sticky keys does so for a reason=
 and=20
doesn't wish to have its functionality turned off. On a multi-user system=
,=20
where the settings are user specific, I doubt disabling the timeout is ev=
en=20
necessary, turn sticky keys on, leave it on. This is probably a holdover =
from=20
Windows 9x where all settings were system wide.

> I _suspect_ that the issue here is exposing control of the timeout (and
> disabling/enabling it), and exposing control over the "turn off when tw=
> keys are pressed simultaneous" feature.
>
> Sorry I can't help investigate personally, I am real busy with the Gnom=
> Accessibility stuff ATM.
>
> There are some freeware command-line accessx control utilities that
> would allow the user to set these things, one could experiment with one
> of these utilities to see whether the XKB extension is working properly=
=2E

I'll look into the freeware tools.

Thanks,
David