[Kde-accessibility] my crazy thoughts

Bill Haneman bill.haneman@sun.com
28 Nov 2002 16:26:17 +0000

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 15:28, Philippe FREMY wrote:

> Bill, thank you for the clarifications.
>
> I think it is important, for political and promotional reasons, that we
> insist on the fact that ATK is not part of Gnome but just a generic
> framework built around glib and orbit, developped inside the Gnome CVS.

Yes, I agree.  Likewise with AT-SPI; it includes implementation code
that uses 'GNOME' libraries, but at its heart it is just IDL definitions
that in theory are not tied to any particular libraries or
implementation.

> I am sure the slashdot crowd will pick this as "KDE depends on Gnome" and I
> would like to avoid it as much as I can.

I would prefer to see "KDE Cooperates With Gnome", but perhaps such a
headline is against slashdot's editorial policy ;-)

> All I see happening here is very interesting. I am glad to see Trolltech,
> KDE and Sun cooperating on this and I am glad that we have an opportunity to
> bring something better than what exist on windows to people with
> disabilities. I remember blind people complaining about the price of
> assistive devices. I hope we will be part of the movement that will change
> that.

Yes, I think that this is extremely exciting work and it has the
potential to help a lot of people.  It also promises to help KDE and
GNOME's future attractiveness for educational and 'enterprise' use as
well, making the Linux desktop more competitive.

> I think I'll do a chapter in the next kde-traffic to sum-up what has
> happened here. And I think I'll ask all of you to participate in a big
> interview, basically to repeat all the information that were posted here.

Thanks!

> 	regards,
>
> 	Philippe

best regards,