[Kde-accessibility] Handheld accessibility project

david david@dkpweb.net
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:32:49 -0500

On Monday 27 May 2002 08:21 pm, rob@mur.org.uk wrote:
> Hi
>
> (Apologies to anyone on both lists)
>
> Is anyone interested in a project to make PDAs like the Sharp Zaurus
> accessible to the visually impaired?
>
> I recently purchased a Sharp SL-5500 with this in mind. The Zaurus is
> capable of running the flite speech synthesizer, and it has a built-in
> keyboard.
>
> Initially I'll probably work on a few small apps with speech built
> in.  In the long term however, it would be good if the SPI could be
> implemented for Qtopia.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Regards

First, I would like the Accessibility features to work in KDE 2.x & 3.x.
Currently the Sticky Keys component times out after a short period of
inactivity. It is a known bug but no solution yet. It appears that
Accessibility is of little importance to the linux community.

Sincerely,
David