Mouse related accessibility settings (was: [Kde-accessibility] kcontrol)

Olaf Jan Schmidt olaf@amen-online.de
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:43:51 +0100

Hi Aaron!

Thank you for your quick reply.

[Aaron J. Seigo]
> well, not really.. it's a container for Regional and Accessability
> settings. they weren't put into seperate groups because we already have
> enough/too many top level groups and there is some odd overlap between
> the sorts of settings in each (e.g. all the keyboard related items) so
> we can "get away" with that grouping.

I agree that there are good reasons for a "Regional and Accessibility"=20
group. I am more concerned about something that was in the accessibility=20
module now being completely removed from the "Regional and Accessibility"=
=20
group. That change is problematic, but it is probably much too late to=20
stop this for KDE 3.1.

> why not just add a mouse tab to the Accessability panel and add the
> text-to-speach module to the Regional & Accessability group? i don't
> think it would be any better or worse that what you suggest.

I thought the mouse settings in the Accessibility module were removed=20
because there were too many tabs. In that case, splitting the=20
accessibility module into several smaller modules within "Regional and=20
Accessibility" might be an idea - especially since once tts support is=20
added to KDE, there are several accessibility related modules, so why=20
should one of them be named "Accessibility"? But I do not feel strong=20
about this point.

> one thing we learned during the reorg for 3.1 is that it is nigh
> impossible to get a perfect arrangement.

true.

> i suppose you are refering to the mouse items? which items in the mouse
> kcontrol are considered accessability items? (that's an honest question
> =3D)
>
> is it the cursor size and mouse navigation stuff?

There are people who cannot move a mouse and use the keyboard instead. It=
=20
makes sense to add it to periperals/mouse as well, but why was it=20
removed?

About the cursor size, that's not more accessibility related than then=20
font size.

> in any case, i don't see why those, like the keyboard settings,
> couldn't be duplicated on the Accessability tab.

That's how it was in all past and current (KDE 3.0.5) versions. I would=20
prefer splitting it into several modules to avoid too many tabs, but it=20
is OK that way.

> about 4th on my TODO list for 3.2 is some work on kcontrol's navigation
> which will elevate in importance the help tab by making it always
> visible and extending with items like a "Related Tasks" box that will
> allow links to other related control panels regardless of their
> location in the hierarchy.

That's indeed a very good idea. The font size and the mouse cursor size=20
are accessibility realted, as is the system bell and the bell in=20
accessibility. And the keyboard and mouse related accessibility settings=20
would not need to be dublicated, they could be shown through "What's=20
related". Although then people would have to learn that it has moved to=20
Peripherals for KDE 3.1 and moved back for KDE 3.2 - too bad I didn't=20
realize this problem earlier.

Olaf.

- --=20
Olaf Jan Schmidt, co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
http://accessibility.kde.org