Mouse related accessibility settings (was: [Kde-accessibility] kcontrol)

Olaf Jan Schmidt olaf@amen-online.de
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:58:37 +0100

Pupeno wrote on kde-accessibility:
> Currently (HEAD), there's a group Regional and Accessibility and inside
> that there's only one item related to Accessibility called,
> Accessibility. That item contains two tabs to configure bell and
> keyboard.

Is there no mouse tab?
That's really bad, because that means there are accessibility settings=20
that are not in "Regional and Accessibility".

In KDE 3.0.5, Accessibility is under personal settings, and also contains=
=20
settings of the keyboard mouse (now moved to devices/mouse).

The KDE Usability Project did a rework of the kcontrol modules for KDE=20
3.1. The keyboard related accessibility settings are duplicated now:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=3Dkde-usability&m=3D103479301115699&w=3D2

Is it possible to do something similar for mouse related accessibility=20
settings? Otherwise we seriously need another rework of kcontrol.

Is it possible to do that for KDE 3.1? Otherwise we will ship a very=20
confusing kcontrol.

> Break up the group into Regional as one group and Accessibility as
> another group.

"Regional and Accessibility" is more or less a container for everything=20
that did not fit into any of the other groups. It also contains=20
keyboard-related settings that are neither regional settings nor=20
accessibility settings, but close to some of them.

http://lists.kde.org/?l=3Dkde-core-devel&m=3D103366796717713&w=3D2accessi=
bility

http://lists.kde.org/?l=3Dkde-usability&m=3D103367928930403&w=3D2

> The Accessbility group will contain: Bell and Keyboard (break that tabs
> into two at least there are more things) and in a close feature Text To
> Speech (a.k.a.: Proklam).

Yes, in an "Accessibility" group we should have four items: keyboard,=20
mouse, bell, and the new text-to-speech module.

There are some items that could fit into several of the three groups=20
"Regional", "Accessibility" and "Devices", and shortcut configuration=20
does not really belong into any of them. That's what makes it so=20
difficult.

> I would like to clean up that too.

I definately think cleaning this up is a good idea, but expect heavy=20
discussions with some kde-usability people...

> I don't know if Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel is subscribed to this list,
> if you're, please, feel free to post your coments about it.

I once contacted him about a bug I fixed in the accessibility kcontrol=20
module. He did not respond. Aaron was so kind to commit that bug fix for=20
me.

> If he isn't, we should invite him to participate in this and/or let us
> maintain that modules in kcontrol.

That's a good idea.

> I would like to know your comments and ideas about it to make a more or
> less formal 'petition' to kde-core-devel@kde.org about this changes
> from the KDE Accessibility team.

I am cc'ing this to the kde-usability list. From the accessibility point=20
of view, we definately need a second rework for KDE 3.2, as some=20
accessibility related settings have been moved out of the Accessibility=20
group, which is very confusing.

Olaf.

- --=20
Olaf Jan Schmidt, co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
http://accessibility.kde.org