[Kbabel] KDE4 Port -- rewrite

Nick Shaforostoff shafff at ukr.net
Tue Jan 30 07:45:47 CET 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 04:33, Jens Herden wrote:
> I'd like to throw in an idea here: I wonder if it would be a good to refactor
> KBabel so that it will use the upcoming KDevelop platform?
> The KDevelop guys are redesigning KDevelop so that others could use part of
> the code in order to implement your own IDE on top of it. They will have
> plugin management, project management, the mainwindow with toolviews etc.
> etc.
i considered using sublime but ended up with plain QDockWidget and QSplitter subclassing
"mainwindow with toolviews" - already have this

all the other items are too different in my opinion
(and too big "overhead" - undue things)

> Quanta is in the process of switching to this platform in order to share code.
of course. Quanta and kdevelop have the way more common things like php/other editing, [maybe work with SQL], debugging, documentation searching, etc

> So what would be the benefit? Of course code sharing, imagine that you have
> plugins that are universal usefull like grepping through text files,
how do you deal with special features like ignoring accel markers, charsets?
kdevelop just calls grep and does basic parsing of results...

> From my experience with Quanta I would say it is not too hard to make the
> switch but I am not familiar with KBabel's code.
even if smb will do this...
i['ll] focus at things that could be reused - po view to replace katepart, translation database...

and of course i try to stick to view/model/controller approach (w/o using qt abstract classes, though)

i hope to get program to more or less releasable shape in a week...

--
Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?"
 --George Bernard Shaw