[Kbabel] KDE4 Port -- rewrite

Jens Herden jens at kdewebdev.org
Tue Jan 30 03:33:33 CET 2007

Hi Nick,

> Is there anybody working at true kbabel KDE4 port at the moment?
>
> I've started a complete rewrite of kbabel (with much cleaner design) a week
> ago and at the time of writing i've got full undo system working (w/o
> reimplementing any keyboard interaction, btw :)
>
> some highlights:
> loads messages/kdevelop/kdevelop.po (1 mb) in 1 second (while kbabel does
> this in 9 seconds!) takes 20 mb ram after this file has been opened (50mb -
> kbabel on qt4, 70 mb - kbabel on qt3)
>
> my current todo list:
> -a lot of polishing
> -QSyntaxHighlighter
> -new gettext format features
> -Glossary (QtSql, QThread)
> -Translation DB with automatic search on gotoEntry() (QtSql, QThread)
> -sonnet
> -catalogmanager & projects
> -many small features that ease everyday life of translator
> -xliff
> -...
>

> and don't worry, i do reuse parts of kbabel (eg parsing and saving engines)

I'd like to throw in an idea here: I wonder if it would be a good to refactor
KBabel so that it will use the upcoming KDevelop platform?
The KDevelop guys are redesigning KDevelop so that others could use part of
the code in order to implement your own IDE on top of it. They will have
plugin management, project management, the mainwindow with toolviews etc.
etc.
Quanta is in the process of switching to this platform in order to share code.

So what would be the benefit? Of course code sharing, imagine that you have
plugins that are universal usefull like grepping through text files, the
document viewer plugin or plugins for CVS/SVN management. The same plugin
would serve KDevelop, Quanta and KBabel! But there is also the nice profile
system, you are able to define which plugins you want to load for a certain
profile. That means you would be able to tailor KBabel for your needs and
load only the plugins you like.

From my experience with Quanta I would say it is not too hard to make the
switch but I am not familiar with KBabel's code.

Unfortunately I am not free to do this, I just want to let you know about this
option. I might be able to assist a little if someone wants to pick this up.

Jens