[Kbabel] kbabeldict 1.0.2 (KDE 3.1.4): importing PO compendia is slow

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky at kde.org
Wed Mar 29 21:05:27 CEST 2006

Hi Bruno!

Dňa Pondelok 27 Marec 2006 14:01 Bruno Haible napísal:
> Hi,
>
> While looking at the translation memory facilities of KBabel, I noticed
> that importing a 10 MB compendium file in PO format (> 69000 translations)
> into kbabeldict's database shows quadratic behaviour: While the loading of
> the file was quick, the processing (i.e. the task with the big progress
> bar) was complete to
>      50%   after  9:55 minutes
>     100%   after 35:25 minutes
> This indicates that importing of files of, say, 100 MB would take more than
> a day...

I did not dig into code, but this might be related to creating of indices for
lookup in the database. :( The data structures are mostly QT-based
containers.

> I got this compendium from the Vietnamese power-translator, who affirms
> that it doesn't even contain everything she has translated.

Is she  using compendium as a database of 'correct' translations, or just as a
translation memory? The translation memory based on Berkeley Database would
be a better choice for her then, because it allows to import the data into
the database and is rather fast.

Stano