[Kbabel] corrupted TM databases

Gudmund Areskoug fta at algonet.se
Fri Jan 20 18:25:00 CET 2006

Hi Nicolas,

I only just received your reply, first the one, then the other, a few
hours later (BTW: no need to cc me, I'm on the list). I'm pretty sure
it's my mail provider that has something fishy going... :(

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Monday 28 November 2005 16:22, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
>
>>Hi,

>>>As written, KBabel's editor itself supports PO files with duplicated
>>>msgid. It is Gettext's tools that consider them invalid.
>>>
>>>As for a translation database, I am not sure about the use of it. What is
>>>the advantage to have two translations of a same word?
>>
>>same characters, different meanings, only evident through context (at
>>best).
>
> Sorry, I was more meaning that for something like a rough translation, it is
> not much useful, as the computer cannot choose between a few meanings.

...unless one makes use of some means of tagging for context or even
semantics, like subject and client attributes. There's a lot of good and
useful things to be done in that area.

>>There are heaps of them in every language.
>
> Yes, sure, if you mean that the database is for a human translator.

If there's formalized additional data reflecting how the "same" words
differ in translation (either direction), a machine would "see" the
difference too, and be able to distinguish when the one is an exact
match, and when the other is.

But a human is of course always needed to confirm everything's allright.

>>As an example, I just now have two different buttons in one app I'm
>>translating, "Cancel". One is for cancelling an order, the other for
>>cancelling any application operation. They can't /shouldn't have the
>>same translation in Swedish.

BR,
Gudmund