[Kbabel] Full Gettext support in KBabel

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Fri Oct 21 19:05:29 CEST 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 22:30, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> > > [: Nicolas Goutte :]
> > > You have still a problem.
> > >
> > > A third party application made for KDE 4.0 which you try to compile on
> > > KDE 4.1. How would you handle the PO files?
> >
> > I don't quite understand. From the point of view of KDE 4.0, everything
> > should be standard Gettext, PO and .mo files included. It is just a
> > makeshift for the translators using 3.5 KBabel, this script stuff.
>
> Okay, to avoid further misunderstanding: you mean that in KDE4's l10n
> module all will be in today's Gettext format (with Gettext context and
> Gettext plural).
>
> But then you are breaking KBabel's catalog manager, as you could not update
> and commit directly anymore.

Worse: the catalog manager will consider all fies as corrupt, as the old
msgfmt will not work with such files.

(In the meanwhile I think that it is the biggest priority. That particular
msgfmt call should go. Now I would like to understand why it is here at
first.(Still assuming that I have read correctly the code.))