[Kbabel] some progress with the spell checker

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Mon Jul 4 00:27:29 CEST 2005

On Sunday 03 July 2005 23:22, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> after spending several evenings on kbabel I do not really know how to go
> on. The code of KBabel is very complex and in many parts uncommented. So it
> took me quite a lot of time to go forward.
>
> My status is almost the same as last week:
> * KSpell2 for the highlighter, for a fixed language though (nds)
> * KSpell2 for the spell checker dialog. (This is a progress). But I do not
> know how to feed the results into the edit fields.
>
> My problems:
> * ampersand handling in the spell dialog
> * feeding the results back into the edit field. I can get a complete string
> without ampersand handling, but I do not have a clue how to put together
> the neccessary edit command objects
> * I do not know how to use the different form variants that can be used.
> From what I understand, It is possible to have several plural form entries
> for one msgstr. But KDE does not seem to use that, so I do not have an
> example to check on.

msgstr_plural is not used in KDE and therefore only very partially supported
in KBabel, as far as I have understood the code. KBabel only supports KDE's
version of plurals (which predates the gettext implementation.)

> One interesting feature:
> The checker from KSpell2 that is used for the spell dialog can be extended
> by a regexp handler. That means the whole string can be given over to the
> spell dialog. At the moment with KSpell(1) the part of the po-file that is
> to be spell checked is broken into words and then these words are fed into
> the spell check dialog. This means that you always get the dialog without
> any context. I find this highly annoying, because you alway have to double
> check with the msgstr edit field about the context. This would not be
> neccessary with KSpell2. I think that the whole spell checking subsystem
> would become a lot easier. For example: KSpell2 is synchrounous. That means
> that the highlighting can be done directly.
>
> In summary: I think I have some good ideas, but I cannot do that alone.
> And now I do not know how to go on from here. Is there anyone willing to
> help on this? Or is it better to wait until KDE4 comes closer? Probably svn
> support is more of a problem at the moment?

Sorry, I cannot help:
- I will not have time in the next few weeks.
- svn support must run (at least a little better than right now) and be merged
back to trunk before somewhen in September, which will probably be the
feature freeze time for KDE 3.5.

However what you can do is trying to implement it in the branch
branches/work/kbabel-svn, so that depending on how it work at the end, it
could be merged back into trunk. So if unfortunately you would find out that
using KSpell2 brings more problems than solutions, nothing would have been
changed in trunk.

I am only working in the catalogmanager in that branch to avoid collisions
with the future modifications for internal XLIFF support, which will be done
for KDE4. I do not know how much KSpell2 would collide in there, however a
good spell check support would surely be appreciated by the translators/users
for KDE 3.5.

Have a nice day!