[Kbabel] some progress with the spell checker

Heiko Evermann heiko.evermann at gmx.de
Sun Jul 3 23:22:51 CEST 2005

Hi Nicolas,

after spending several evenings on kbabel I do not really know how to go on.
The code of KBabel is very complex and in many parts uncommented. So it took
me quite a lot of time to go forward.

My status is almost the same as last week:
* KSpell2 for the highlighter, for a fixed language though (nds)
* KSpell2 for the spell checker dialog. (This is a progress). But I do not
know how to feed the results into the edit fields.

My problems:
* ampersand handling in the spell dialog
* feeding the results back into the edit field. I can get a complete string
without ampersand handling, but I do not have a clue how to put together the
neccessary edit command objects
* I do not know how to use the different form variants that can be used. From
what I understand, It is possible to have several plural form entries for one
msgstr. But KDE does not seem to use that, so I do not have an example to
check on.

One interesting feature:
The checker from KSpell2 that is used for the spell dialog can be extended by
a regexp handler. That means the whole string can be given over to the spell
dialog. At the moment with KSpell(1) the part of the po-file that is to be
spell checked is broken into words and then these words are fed into the
spell check dialog. This means that you always get the dialog without any
context. I find this highly annoying, because you alway have to double check
with the msgstr edit field about the context. This would not be neccessary
with KSpell2. I think that the whole spell checking subsystem would become a
lot easier. For example: KSpell2 is synchrounous. That means that the
highlighting can be done directly.

In summary: I think I have some good ideas, but I cannot do that alone.
And now I do not know how to go on from here. Is there anyone willing to help
on this? Or is it better to wait until KDE4 comes closer? Probably svn
support is more of a problem at the moment?

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann