[Kbabel] browsing translation database

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky at kde.org
Mon Nov 8 09:04:07 CET 2004

Dňa Pondelok 08 November 2004 06:06 Janusz S. Bień napísal:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004  Stanislav Visnovsky <visnovsky at kde.org> wrote:
> > Dňa Štvrtok 28 Október 2004 06:28 Janusz S. Bień napísal:
>
> [...]
>
> > > I begin to suspect that kBabel dictionaries are not dictionaries at
> > > all :-). A novice user like me would be less confused if the menu item
> > > was called e.g. "Consultation" instead of "Dictionaries".
> >
> > Why?
>
> What I mean by `dictionary' is sometimes called `glossary'. It is
> available e.g. in OmegaT
>
>         http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html
>
> In particular its manual says
>
>         Glossaries created using Trados Multiterm's text export
>         function can be used as OmegaT glossaries without further
>         modification, provided they are given the file extension *.tab
>         and the source and target term fields are the first two fields
>         respectively.
>
> I don't claim that kBabel really needs this functionality, I just
> think that the present terminology might be confusing.

IMO "glossary" is a special kind of dictionary used primarily for consistency.
So it contains common words and phrases and has a higher priority.

The other dictionaries are used for lookup of similar terms and can be used
for translation guessing.

The problem I see is that KBabel does not support glossary (as described
above).

Stano