[Kbabel] Re: Fwd: Kbabel mime type

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky at kde.org
Fri Feb 6 08:13:19 CET 2004

Hi Baris!

Dňa Štvrtok 05 Február 2004 17:20 ste napísali:
> Actually i dont know. Because i installed, kdebase packet and some other
> too i guess, kde-utils or something then tried kbabel and it worked.

Hmmm, strange.

> But i must say that , kbabel ownz :) I was using gtranslator and i
> really damn the day i tried gtranslator instead of kbabel.

Thanks a lot!

> So an idea of
> porting kbabel to 100% gnome support appeared in my mind.
>
> How much kbabel rely on kdelibs? I will try to port those libs to gnome
> substitutes, and if not that much, i wantto make Gbabel :)

:-) The sad story is that KBabel uses kdelibs for all kinds of plugins:
load/save, validation, dictionaries. It also uses Qt signal/slot mechanism
a lot and the editor widget is rather complicated beast. IMHO (I haven't used
GTK/GNOME libs yet), it is not very feasible. Maybe not a full rewrite, but a
GNOME integration?

> If you want to support such a project, as source of information, please
> let me know, so let's save gnome users from gtranslator torture w/o
> installing kdelibs or any other kde related lib.

If you'd like to try, I will help you as much as I can.

Stanislav