[Kbabel] Translation Database

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:25:18 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Ossama Khayaat wrote:

>   Hi. I'm new to the list.

Welcome!

>   I'm working on Arabic translation of KDE, helping my group
> Arabeyes.org. I thoroughly read the KBabel Handbook, before working with
> KBabel and  miss around with it. The version I'm using is 0.9.6 which is
> the RedHat 7.3 RPM package, and I also downloaded and compiled and used
> version  1.1.
>   The problem is that in both of these, I couldn't get to find
> the Translation Dictionary option in Settings->Configure Dictionary.
> I check to see if I have DB2 and it's there.

You need to have db2 and db2-devel installed. If you don't have db2-devel,
the configure script will skip compilation of translation database.

Check carefully the output of the configure script.

> * My questions are:
> 1. What seems to be the problem?
> 2. How can I get to use/create the Translation Dictionary if I have a
> .po file which is actiually the Arabic dictionary I'm using?

After you have the translation  database working, you can use
Settings->Configure Dictionary->Translation Database and there
is a tab for filling the database.

> 3. If the Translation Dictionary tools isn't used any more (although I
> found it still there in the Handbook), what is the best and fastest way
> to translate .pot and .po files? Using PO Auxiliary or PO Compendium?

I would use PO Compendium, since it supports substring searching.

> 4. If I should use PO Auxiliary or PO Compendium, how can I setup each?

Settings->Configure Dicitonary->Po Comendium (or PO Auxiliary).

> I hope I can get the answer soon, and please don't tell me to RFM
> because I already did and still couldn't get it (I maybe not that smart,
> although I'm a teacher :))

Hope it helps!

Stanislav