[Kbabel] Feature to add commands?

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky at kde.org
Mon Jun 2 19:18:04 CEST 2003

Dňa Piatok 30 Máj 2003 01:44 Bernd Groh napísal:
> >In KBabel 1.2xx you can define your own entries for the "Tools ->
> > Validate" and "Tools -> Modify" menus. It allows to:
> >- validate current/all msgid/msgstr
> >- modify the current msgstr
> >- modify whole PO file
> >
> >Unfortunatelly, you need to implement them in C++. It should not be that
> > hard to implement a generic wrapper for using scripts. For examples, see
> > kbabel/datatools directory.
> >
> >But it seems you'd like to have the similar functionality for selected
> > text or word under cursor - it is not possible ATM. What exactly do you
> > need? Is the functionality as found in the Catalog manager sufficient?
>
> I guess I should update my version of KBabel anyway, but to pass
> selected text or word under cursor to a command, via the context-menu,
> would be what I am looking for.

:-(( Not there yet.

> Since translating rather complex texts in po-format sometimes doesn't
> allow you to provide enough context, it would be of advantage to add a
> comment to the po-entry, that is a URL to the closest index-term (most
> likely to be the last index-term prior to the current po-entry) in the
> compiled manual, i.e. the html-pages of the original text. If you need
> more context, you simply select that URL, right click, and say "Open in
> Mozilla" or something similar. This would be much quicker and much more
> helpful then having to open mozilla yourself and copying and pasting the
> URL over. For the moment it might already be a help to open Mozilla at
> all though, makes at least one step easier, though copying the selected
> text, and calling mozilla with the text in the clipboard, i.e. `mozilla
> [selected text]`, would, of course, be a better solution.

KDE supports this functionality using Klipper. But since you use GNOME it
can't help you. Another feature request on bugs.kde.org, then?

> Of course, to introduce a new special po-comment line and a simple
> button click in order to open the url within that comment line would be
> even better.

I don't like to hardcode a specialized functionality like this in KBabel, a
possibility for plugins is a better solution IMHO.

Stanislav