[Kbabel] Tags validator]

Dwayne Bailey dwayne@obsidian.co.za
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:01:57 +0200

Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
>

>>Check msgid for XML conformance.  If it passes then check the msgstr.
>>That way we know if the original is valid before we get translators
>>confused.
>

> I like the idea!

Sometimes these discussion are worthwhile.  I think we still need to
apply some of our fudges such as "capitals" and <br/> to ensure that
these messages are still treated as valid and then move on to the msgstr
and apply the same checking.

>>We could also check the msgid in a relaxed mode ie <p> with </p> if that
>>passes then do the same on the msgstr.
>>
>>If msgid passes no XML test then it is the source of the problem.  Then
>>a simple tag count might be more appropriate.  This tag count could
>>eliminate errors such as msgid "<ERROR>" being flagged as invalid.
>

> Maybe no checking at all.

I would suggest that we check the msgid at various fudge levels.  If it
passes at one of these levels then we check the msgstr.  If it fails our
most relaxed level then we ignore it.

Only problem with this is that it won't pick up translations where the
translator has fixed the bad formating supplied in the msgid but got it
wrong.  But I think that is rare emough.

--
Kind regards
Dwayne Bailey

Obsidian Systems
dwayne@obsidian.co.za     +27-21-448 9265 / 7827 (work)
+27-21-448 9574 (fax)     +27-83-443 7114 (cell)

"An English-only, or even an English-mainly, policy necessarily condemns
most people, and thus the country as a whole, to a permanent state of
mediocrity, since people are unable to be spontaneous, creative and
self-confident if they cannot use their first language"
           Dr Neville Alexander - 'Where English can Serve but not Empower.'