[Kbabel] Re: Kbable errors

Dwayne Bailey dwayne@obsidian.co.za
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 18:50:34 +0200

>>The following produced an XML error:
>>
>>msgid "\nReport bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>.\n"
>

> Yes, since it is not a correct XML :-). I've turned on XML testing for any
> file and some of the tags in files are not real tags, so the error is not
> in fact an error :-(. Not sure how to handle this.

Maybe a strict and lax check?

ignore emails <.*@.*> (I know they're more complicated than taht.

allow for an exclusion list.  <ERROR> <pid> <file> etc are also picked
up as invalid.

allow user to specify non strict validation of <p> without following
probably will be corrected in time but it presents many false positives.

<= >= << >> all come up as errors.  Maybe allow them to to be exluded as
mentioned below.

A check of missing or incorrectly orders xml is very usefull for me.

As a seperate issue on validation it would be good to allow users to
specify that checks should not be done in fuzzy message strings.  To
prevent spurious error messages.

I'll try and produce a demo PO file to validate all these.

> It's similar to a situation, where the PO file contains a construction
> like "Hu=Hugarian" and it should be translated as "Sk=Slovensky". This
> will trigger an equation error, but it is not in fact.

Maybe like a spell checker, allow a list of PO files and msgstr's that
should be ignored.  So the first time the error will occur.  The next
time that specific check will be ignored on that message.

Check Args:

Seems to fail if the translator comment has a description of the args

eg:

msgid "_: %1 email, %2 name\n"
"%1 - %2"

>>Caching
>>
>>Is this really working?  A restart of the catalog manager still starts
>>calculating from the beginning.  I thought caching meant that the stats
>>were kept in a summary file ans slowly rechecked based on timestamps etc
>>as the user continues using kbabel.
>

> Works for me. Does it create a cache file in $KDEHOME/share/apps/kbabel ?

Yes it does.  I'll have to check a bit deaper.

Is it possible to make kbabel stay resident?  Ie when shutting down
kbabel to return to the catalog manager kbabel simply hides so that it
does not need to be completely restarted whne you select a new PO file
for editing.

Happy hacking.  I'll put in bug reports for new features and around
established stuff.  Will probably not for things that are in development.

I'm happy to test this stuff as I have a team of people using these
applications on a daily basis.

--
Kind regards
Dwayne Bailey

Obsidian Systems
dwayne@obsidian.co.za     +27-21-448 9265 / 7827 (work)
+27-21-448 9574 (fax)     +27-83-443 7114 (cell)

"An English-only, or even an English-mainly, policy necessarily condemns
most people, and thus the country as a whole, to a permanent state of
mediocrity, since people are unable to be spontaneous, creative and
self-confident if they cannot use their first language"
          Dr Neville Alexander - 'Where English can Serve but not Empower.'