[Kbabel] [Fwd: [l10n-dev] [Fwd: [Freecats-Dev] The other side: "Commercial" TM tools (cont.)]]

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:25:05 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> Sorry if you've seen this already.  They're attempting to create a set
> of tools that would eventualy allow a translators using commercial
> translation products to work with our free software translation formats.
>
> Interesting to me is the discussion around features and needs of the tool.

I'm quite puzzled about the features. I've never seen a commercial CAT
product, but the web pages for the commercial tools do not seem that great
to me.

Probably the key area is a large-project management features support. But
I'd like to hear more on this topic. At least, KBabel should be able to
work as a GUI client for their server.

One point I don't like is that they want to define their own format, even
worse, based on XML (just look at the sizes of current PO files!).

Stanislav