[Kbabel] KBabelDict and Berkley Database 4.1

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky@nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:56:08 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Andrea Rizzi wrote:

> Alle 11:38, luned́ 11 novembre 2002, Stanislav Visnovsky ha scritto:
> > Hi!
> >
> > You really need DB II (i.e., 2.x). Berkeley Database is not
> > compatible between major versions :-((. This is long-time
> > maintanence problem, since a lot of distributions does not
> > support DB II directly anymore (for example Red Hat).
> >
> > If you want, you can try to fix Translation Database to work with
> > DB 4.x API, I would really appreciate that.
> >
> I think I'm the maintainer of the dbsearchengine and I plan a major rewrite
> (maybe in december) of the plugin and I'll use version III or IV of Berkeley
> DB. I suggest you to do not spend time porting old,bad written code to
> Berkeley DB 4.

Yes, you are the maintainer. However, you have stated the plan to
completely abadon the current code and write a new implementation.
That would be really great!

But, if the port to DB 4 would not be that hard, isn't it worth the
effort? I don't know the internals of DB 2/4. I'd you to comment on this
one, since you really know the code.

> BTW, I think all distro support berkely DBII but now many of them  do not
> include headers so you cannot compile it if you do not install the headers.
> No problem if you get a precompiled version.

Do you mean as a part of glibc? I don't know, maybe you are right.

Best regards

Stanislav