[Kbabel] KBabel after 1.0 (Roadmap)

Andrea Rizzi rizzi@kde.org
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:38:49 +0100

Alle 09:16, luned=EC 4 novembre 2002, Stanislav Visnovsky ha scritto:
> Hi!
>
> Soon, KBabel 1.0 is out (as a part of KDE 3.1). It's time
> to find out what to do next. Here is my plan (including items I'm aware
> of):
>
> KBabel 1.1
> - TMX dictionary module (me)
> - Catalog Manager entries caching (Stefan Asserhall)
> - Bookmarks (Marco Wegner)
>
> KBabel 1.2 beta 1
> - full GNU gettext support of plural forms (me)
>
> Version 1.1 should get out soon after KBabel 1.0. The code listed above=
 is
> ready (hopefully) and only waits to be released after the feature freez=
> of KDE.
>
> I want to do betas for 1.2, because the GNU gettext support is a large
> change, which can even corrupt files containing plural forms. The first
> beta can be done quite soon as well.
>
> Of course, the feature list can (and probably will) be extended.
>
> Please comment.

There are a lot of things that I planned for the next version of=20
dbsearchengine but I think they would be useful for all  the dictionaries=
=2E

There many ways to guess the right translation from older one.

Examples:
we can guess the translation of a single word looking at the correlation
between a english word and the translated word. This is quite easy using=20
the word indexes and upgrading the correlation every time we add an entry=
 to=20
the database.
This will improve a lot the consistency of the translation and allow us t=
o put=20
warnings if a word is translated in an unconsistent way.

Another example is:
suppose you have msgstrs
"Change to desktop one"
"Change to desktop two"
It is quite easy to guess the translation of the second if you have the=20
translation of the first...
The idea is to implement an algorithm that try to substitute one word:
-Find a sentence where n-1 words match (i.e. I know there is "Change", "t=
o",=20
"desktop").
-Search a translation for the unmatching words (i.e. "one" and "two" )
-Search the translation of "one" in the translated full string
-Substitute that translation with the translation of "two"

If we have the "correlation glossary" we can easly propose consistent=20
translation for a lot of sentences.

Another example of very important new stuff is a "tokenizer" that search =
for
partial msgstr:
"Failed! Try again?"
search for "Failed!" and then for "Try again?"
This will be very useful for long sentences like kcm-on-line-help.

Finally we should write a "restyler" i.e. something that adds all the=20
necessary stuff like "...", capital letters(we should write some rules fo=
r=20
different languages), &, :
Example
"&Name" -> "&Nome"
"Name:" --search--> "&Nome" --restyler--> "Nome:"

The actual interface (API) of kbabeldict do not allow all this nice stuff=
, so=20
I think after 1.0 is a good moment to modify that interface.

Bye
Andrea

P.S.
Sorry Stanislav I sent you the first part of this message because I'm stu=
pid.