[Kalzium] [Avogadro-devel] Fwd: Final Reminder: KDE 4.2 Feature Plan Closing Tonight

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff at geoffhutchison.net
Mon Oct 27 20:51:08 CET 2008

> I want to state two big problems clearly:
> 1) we need badly libavogadro to stabilize.

This is the most important goal in Avogadro right now too. There's a
bit of upheaval right now with animation and Marcus's new frameworks.
The benefits are really big -- for example OB2 -> OB3 wouldn't affect
our ABI with Marcus's changes.

> 2) we need fresh blood in the Kalzium developer team.

One problem I can say as a maintainer is that it's often difficult to
make this realization yourself. Usually what happens is that the
maintainer or active developers get busy doing other things (e.g.,
life). When you're that busy, you can't easily make such executive
decisions. :-)

The best situation is if there are always developers coming through.
But IMHO open source development is often a "punctuated equilibrium"
in all but the largest projects. KDE as a whole, for example, doesn't
have the problem because there are enough people working that anyone
can disappear for a month or two and not slow the project.

Cheers,
-Geoff