[Kalzium] Fwd: Final Reminder: KDE 4.2 Feature Plan Closing Tonight

Benoît Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Mon Oct 27 18:23:17 CET 2008

Nobody replied... confirms my fear that Kalzium is seriously lacking love.

Beware: provocative phrasing below this point.

Look, we're not going to keep eigen1 alongside eigen2 in kdesupport forever,
just because nobody cares to deal with the old libavogadro snapshot used by
Kalzium.

Apparently libavogadro hasn't reached ABI stability. That's a big problem.
When we made kalzium rely on libavogadro, the assumption was that we could
rely on libavogadro in KDE 4.1. Now the feature freeze of KDE 4.2 is coming
real soon.

I don't have the time to split the viewer away from kalzium and move it to
playground.

For 4.2 the least painful thing to do is to update once again the libavogadro
snapshot. That's all I can offer to do. Agree?

For 4.3 i think it's *out of question* to keep a snapshot again.

I want to state two big problems clearly:

1) we need badly libavogadro to stabilize.

2) we need fresh blood in the Kalzium developer team. Kalzium is currently in
a state of minimal life support, that's not good enough for a project with
such potential and which got a SOC project in 2007 and another one in 2008. I
would like you Carsten to tackle this problem. If you don't take care to find
a new maintainer, Kalzium will keep rotting. Only you can write the Kalzium
internals documentation that is needed to let someone else help you.

Maybe it'd be interesting to hear from Frederik's experience getting
acquainted with the old KVocTrain codebase and overhauling it.

Cheers,
Benoit