[Kalzium] [Avogadro-devel] Fwd: Final Reminder: KDE 4.2 Feature Plan Closing Tonight

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus at cryos.org
Mon Nov 3 13:49:20 CET 2008

On Monday 03 November 2008 07:20:54 Benoît Jacob wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, obviously you don't have to tell us in advance when
> you are traveling, but here what made me grow afraid that nobody would take
> care of that is that nobody added that to the KDE 4.2 feature plan until I
> did it the last day before the soft freeze.

I don't have any problems giving people an idea of when I am unlikely to be
around. I thought that was on the feature plan but it had slipped my mind -
thanks for adding it. Regardless of my status we really do not at least two or
three interested people for just these situations...

> It is very helpful to me that you plan to take care of the kalzium 3D
> editor for 4.2, as that lets me focus on finalizing the eigen2 API. I hope
> to do what I have to in this respect in the next few days and adapt
> libavogadro accordingly so that when you take care of kalzium 4.2 this is
> behind us.

That sounds like a good plan. I have been working hard on big changes to the
Avogadro core in order to allow us to have a stable and uniform API that fits
in the Qt/KDE style too. I don't think it will realistically be stable before
4.2 but hope to have it basically there with a request for comments on any
blockers to stabilising it.

The new API allows me to verify what is actually being used and should make
the transition to OpenBabel 3 mostly a transparent exercise to Avogadro users.

Thanks,

Marcus