[Kalzium] Fwd: Final Reminder: KDE 4.2 Feature Plan Closing Tonight

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus at cryos.org
Mon Nov 3 12:17:48 CET 2008

On Monday 27 October 2008 13:23:17 Benoît Jacob wrote:
> Nobody replied... confirms my fear that Kalzium is seriously lacking love.

I did not reply as I was traveling (left 15 October) - perhaps I should have
posted this somewhere? I was only checking my personal email accounts and not
really monitoring mailing lists as I had limited Internet connectivity along
with a limited amount of time. I only just got back home yesterday and so have
been reading through mailing lists etc.

> Beware: provocative phrasing below this point.
>
> Look, we're not going to keep eigen1 alongside eigen2 in kdesupport
> forever, just because nobody cares to deal with the old libavogadro
> snapshot used by Kalzium.

This was certainly on my list and should not take too long. I am still feeling
very jet lagged today having just crossed the Atlantic. The changes I have
been making to libavogadro are to allow for stabilization of the Avogadro API
independent of the OpenBabel API. I am not finished but hope to be soon.

I will certainly try to help as I have in the past. These six month cycles
seem to be tough to work in and may be working in git branches or similar
would be easier? I had talked about the possibility of splitting the
viewer/editor off and I think it has many benefits including reducing the
impact of the libavogadro changes on Kalzium.

I am not sure how long it will take getting over jet lag, catching up at work
etc and so don't feel like I can make any promises about this week but will do
what I can in the spare time I have. With work, travel plans, sorting out KDE
4.1 in Gentoo and other things I had lost track of the KDE 4.2 schedule a
little but was hoping to make some improvements before the freeze.

Thanks,

Marcus