[Kalzium] kalzium

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus at cryos.org
Tue May 20 07:49:56 CEST 2008

Benoît Jacob wrote:
> I upgraded kalzium and tried. Thanks very much for having taken the effort of
> updating the snapshot to 0.8, I think this brings a large number of fixes.

I thought it was well worth ensuring the release was made before the
hard freeze as I and many others put significant effort into fixing
bugs, cleaning up code, krazy complaints and numerous improvements.
> Before these changes, the 2nd light was disabled at Low and Medium levels, and
> eyecandy was disabled at Low level.

The second light should be getting disabled at low levels, eye candy I
forgot to port to Avogadro. I want to maintain minimal differences so
that the transition to system Avogadro library is as easy as possible.
Right now the changes are tiny - currently just the bond order saving
signal needs adding to Avogadro.
> Aside from a save button, I believe that a simple control for bond order would
> be useful, as well as perhaps an option to turn on/off 'add hydrogens'.

I have added them - they were always on my list. Along with basic
measurements of bond distances and angles (also added now).
> Another thing to keep in mind is that the help provided by the "Help" button
> is out of date; if you don't have time, it may be OK to remove it after
> consulting this list, as 1) it won't remain possible forever to have in-app
> documentation as the feature set expands and 2) one may object that this
> effort should go into the kalzium handbook. If one removes it, one could just
> keep in mind that the current text is still a good starting point for the
> corresponding section in the handbook.

Quite honestly I hadn't noticed the help button during my porting work.
I am not sure I will have time to update this before the hard feature
freeze as tomorrow is looking very busy. I would welcome input/help. I
felt it was important to add in these new features for KDE 4.1 as
completion of some of the work I began last summer during my own GSoC
project. It does seem like the Kalzium handbook would be the natural
place for this documentation.

Do you know if there is extra time for adding docs or is that tied to
the feature freeze too?

Thanks,

Marcus

PS Sleep now - it is late here ;-)