[Kalzium] [Avogadro-devel] gsoc summer project, animation in Kalzium, call for feedback

Benoît Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Sat May 17 18:48:52 CEST 2008

Hi Naomi,

it is a great idea to have written to these lists.

I can't really comment on the specific ideas that you're proposing below, as I
am no chemist (have mostly been working on 3D-geomtrical and OpenGL aspects,
and on the Eigen library).

But I'd like to make a few general comments:

It is fully expected that the end result of any SoC will be different from its
initial plan. It is natural that your goals evolve as the project itself
evolves, even Google's mentor forms say that. Therefore, it is not so
important for you to collect a lot of feedback on your initial goals list
before you start coding. In fact, until you send code, I don't think that
anybody else can get a precise enough idea of where you're going, to be able
to give good feedback. So what's much more important is that while you are
coding, you discuss and interact very frequently with other avogadro people,
so you evolve in real-time with the rest of the project. Concretely, that
means that once you've coded something you send a patch to this list, and
then indeed you can expect much more feedback. Of course if it doesn't break
things you can commit right away to svn and then ask for feedback.

You can perfectly do things in avogadro that were not at all part of your
initial plan, and expect this to be taken into account when evaluating your
SoC's success. This happened with Marcus, he quickly started contributing
things that were not at all part of his initial SoC plan, and of course I
took this into account when evaluating his SoC (Google's forms encouraged me
to, btw). So if you find an annoying bug and fix it, that's great, everybody
will be thankful. Just make sure to keep a record of things you did, although
svn itself will remember that. Likewise don't hesitate to participate in any
discussions on this list.

One last thing, if you like IRC, there are #avogadro and #kalzium on Freenode,
where these days you'll frequently see Marcus, Carsten, Tim, Jordan among
others. I will be away for most of the 3 next weeks. Of course IRC is not at
all mandatory, e.g. Geoff and Donald seldom connect these days, but if you
hang around you'll see a lot of opportunities to get better insight into the
project and see what's in the air.

Cheers,
Benoit