[Kalzium] About Molecular Viewer

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff at geoffhutchison.net
Mon Jun 2 15:13:23 CEST 2008

Dear Leandro,

What you describe above (calculating the energy) is already what is
done in Avogadro and Kalzium (4.1). If that's still your project,
there are other force fields which would be very useful (and
interesting) to implement. The "force field" is the method to
calculate the energy for bonds, angles, torsions, and various non-
bonded interactions.

For example, the three force fields used by Avogadro (UFF -- which is
used in Kalzium too, MMFF94, and Ghemical) are "all atom" methods. For
proteins, people sometimes use Amber or CHARMM force fields, which
consider groups of atoms (residues) at one unit. This is the technique
used in Folding at Home.

Avogadro has helped with several student projects -- so perhaps we can
help you too. Why don't you describe your project in more detail. :-)

Cheers,
-Geoff

---
Prof. Geoffrey Hutchison