[Kalzium] About Molecular Viewer

Benoît Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Mon Jun 2 04:51:17 CEST 2008

Hi Leandro,

> And, when you said "You can
> then click on "optimize" to have the molecule automatically shape
> realistically", you meant, calculate how it should be or look in some kind
> of data base for fit it in some known pattern?

Much better: a simulation of the physical force fields is performed at
runtime. This is a new feature of the OpenBabel library, developed jointly
with libavogadro. And Kalzium makes use of all that goodness.

In the Avogadro application you can even enable auto-optimization: while you
edit the molecule, the atoms progressively readjust. I can't describe how
exhilarating that is to watch, you must try it out for yourself!

Why don't you just join the #avogadro channel on IRC, irc.freenode.net port
6667. Hang around a bit if devs are currently asleep :)

Cheers,
Benoit