[Kalzium] Use of spectra images in Wikipedia

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 28 22:04:46 CET 2008

Thanks for such a fast response! Given that Kalcium is under the GPL and the Blue Obelisk data are under the MIT license, I think the below formulation might work best on Commons (the Wikimedia media repository):

Say that the copyright of the underlying data are under the MIT license and that the copyright of the rendered images are under the GPL and MIT licenses.
Meaning, that each spectra image on Commons will display both of the below templates:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:MIT
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:GPL

Of course, that assumes that the data and images are copyrightable in the first place. IANAL so I'll ask around on Commons to find the best formulation. We must specify the source of media and data (even when it is public domain), so the Kalcium project and Blue Obelisk will get credited no matter what.

I'll have to dig into Blue Obelisk to get the original reference info for the emission spectra. While I'm there I'll think about the data sharing idea to see if we can help provide Blue Obelisk with more data that Kalcium could then draw on.

In the meantime, I encourage you to take a look at the Commons periodic table to see is you can use any of our images:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table
example elements
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Yttrium
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sulfur