[Kalzium] Redesign of Kalzium

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Sat Jun 17 17:20:20 CEST 2006

Hi Carsten,

Very impressive progress.

IMO, it makes sense to have the PTE as the mainwidget, to the extent
that it is a visual interface to the rest of the tools.  What I mean
is, the one thing all the tools have in common is displaying
information related to the chemical elements, and the PTE is a good
way to show all of the elements at once.  It is the logical place for
users to start exploring what kalzium can do.

I'm imagining someone starting kalzium for the first time; I think
seeing the PTE right away is more compelling than seeing a list box
of the various tools.  Ideally, the PTE itself would be simple and
clean in appearance, but would also be a discoverable interface that
allows users to explore the various tools by interacting with the table.

For example, if I click on an element, it shows the basic data for
that element, but maybe it could also highlight some other elements
that the clicked element can form molecules with.  Then Ctrl-clicking
on some of these other elements (so that they are all "selected")
could lead to the 3-D molecule display.  This is just an idea, and I
haven't totally worked through the issues (i.e., if the user selects
C,H,O, there are a huge number of possible molecules).  I'm just
trying to brainstorm ways to make the PTE a visual interface to the
tools.

regards,
Jason