[Kalzium] Fwd: OpenGL availability

Benoit Jacob jacob at math.jussieu.fr
Mon Jun 12 15:39:15 CEST 2006

Moin

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> > We can (and must) check OpenGL availability at runtime, Qt provides a
> > method for that (I think, hasOpenGL).
>
> I suggest using #ifndef in the cpp-files and disable certain dialogs/features.
> This would mean w/o you wouldn't have the crystalview and the
> moleculeview-thing.

Yes, it's a good idea to give the ability to #if-out the OpenGL-related
stuff. But in case Kalzium has been compiled with GL support, we still
need to check for GL availability at runtime.

> > I don't think we have to give up and display "sorry no candy for you".
>
> Well, I thing we should :)

Thanks for saying that -- that'd save me a lot of work ;)

> But I think we (aka: you) should finish GL first. Then we'll think
> about fallbacks.

Alright, it's too early to discuss fallbacks. I just wanted to point out
that such fallbacks are possible, and that I'm OK to do them, as someone
(A.J. Venter) posted a comment on your blog asking for a fallback. So he
(or she) doesn't have to worry.

Cheers,
Benoit