[Kalzium] Fwd: OpenGL availability

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Mon Jun 12 15:10:47 CEST 2006

Moin
> We can (and must) check OpenGL availability at runtime, Qt provides a
> method for that (I think, hasOpenGL).

I suggest using #ifndef in the cpp-files and disable certain dialogs/features.
This would mean w/o you wouldn't have the crystalview and the
moleculeview-thing.

> I don't think we have to give up and display "sorry no candy for you".

Well, I thing we should :) But of course only if no MESA is found...
Softwarerendering should of course be supported!

> First, there's the png drawing you've already implemented. You might
> consider it a good fallback and perhaps you want to do the same for the
> molecule viewer.

I think the png-thing is a heck. It doesn't look good and doesn't look like it
should look like in 2007...

> Another possibility is to do some advanced 2D drawing with Qt. I'm willing
> to do that if you want, I only want to first implement the GL drawing, but
> later I'm willing to learn Qt painting enough to do it.

That would be a reseonable fallback which I couldn't do because I am missing
the math. But I think we (aka: you) should finish GL first. Then we'll think
about fallbacks.

Just my 2¢

--
Gruß,