[Kalzium] Fwd: Re: Compiler-support on Windows for KDE 4.0

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Thu Jul 27 10:24:29 CEST 2006

Good news!

Subject: Re: Compiler-support on Windows for KDE 4.0
Date: Donnerstag 27 Juli 2006 10:17
From: Peter Kümmel <syntheticpp at gmx.net>
To: kde-core-devel at kde.org

Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Hi
>
> In Kalzium we want to introduce a dependency (of course with a
> configure-check) on GSL [1]. It should be possible to build GSL with minGW,
> Cygwin, MSVC++ .Net, but perhaps not with MSVC 6++ [2].
>
> As KDE4 will support Windows it should be compilable, of course ;-) Now my
> question is: Is there already a list of minimum-version we will demand? If
> I googled correctly MSVC 6 is already 8 years old so I guess that we will
> demand something newer?

As I could see it nobody is using this old and broken compiler, even not
.net 2003. We (the windows developers) are all using msvc 8, are I'm wrong?
msvc8/Studio/Express 2005 is the compiler mentioned in [2].

So I see no problem for you in using GSL and supporting windows.

> Next question: is there something like an automated daily/weekly build for
> windows as I have no access to a windowssystem but would at least like to
> get info why/where my code break in windows (in case it breaks)...

There was a dashboard for kdelibs, but not for the whole kde application
 tree.

There are not very much issues which are broken on windows, mostly linker
errors. So don't care about Windows - it will be not very hard to build it
under windows when you've "finished" it on linux".

> [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/#platforms
> [2] http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-gsl%40gnu.org/msg00151.html

Gruß,
  Carsten Niehaus