[Kalzium] Two versions of Kalzium?

kstars@30doradus.org kstars at 30doradus.org
Sat Sep 17 03:10:08 CEST 2005

Hello,

Sorry for replying late to this thread...
I guess everyone already said they think two versions of Kalzium is a
bad idea.  I admit, I cringed a bit when I heard it, because of the
nightmare it would be to maintain.  I know that people usually object
to having different "modes" in the program, but this might be the right
answer for an app like Kalzium that has widely separated potential user
bases.  What I am imagining is that selecting "student" or "science"
mode would simply apply predefined settings in the program's options,
sort of like what KPersonalizer does when you select what kind of
look-n-feel you want (KDE vs. unix vs. Mac vs. Windows).  Anyway,
that's my 0.02 Euro.

> I doubt Jason would like to move KStars to another module, right, Jason?

I'm happy in kdeedu.  Still, I do recognize that the module is a bit
schizophrenic.  Many of the apps are purely for children, and there
have been initiatives (such as drawing up guidelines for a simplified
look and feel) that focus on these apps.  From this point of view, the
"science" apps in kdeedu don't quite belong, and I do sometimes think
about starting a kdescience module.  However, kdeedu is not just kids
apps and advanced science apps.  In truth, there's a really wide and
wonderful diversity there, from games like ksimon to teacher tools like
keduca.  It's been fun to be a part of that.  The other point to make is
that each of our "science" apps has huge appeal for students of all
ages.  I hear constantly about people showing KStars to their children,
who seem to really enjoy it :)

Anyway, I'm rambling.  In short, I've considered a kdescience module,
but I don't know...I just don't really see a good reason to split
kdeedu.  Unless people continue to complain about how kstars makes the
kdeedu tarball too big :)