[k3b] Questions for K3b devs

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Sun May 23 17:11:44 UTC 2010

Am Freitag 21 Mai 2010, 14:15:37 schrieb Chris Smart:

> 1) Why was the GPLv2 chosen as the project's license?

I can't answer for Sebastian (who initiated the project), but the GPL is the
standard license for almost every KDE app.

> 2) Have there been any known legal issues facing the project, such as
> patent threats (DVD ripping, MP3 support, etc) or copyright
> violations?

K3b does not have those features on its own. It uses external tools/libraries
for that. If someone distributes K3b with those tools/libraries, it's his/her
responsibility. I'm not aware of any legal issues encountered by a
distributor.

> 3) Who has commit access to the SVN tree? All developers who have ever
> contributed, or is access subject to review?

K3b lies in KDE's SVN. Write access to KDE's SVN is granted after a review,
but the policy for that is quite liberal. I got my SVN after a handful of very
small patches to Kopete to fix wrong/missing icons in the GUI.

> 4) Have there been any fork attempts?
I'm not aware of any. If there were, they weren't even slightly successful.

> 5) What future plans are there for the project?

Michal already pointed you to a TechBase page. My blog has basically the same
info, but in full sentences. ;-)
http://kamikazow.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/very-rough-plans-for-k3b-2-1/