[k3b] Questions for K3b devs

Michał Małek michalm at jabster.pl
Sat May 22 09:03:26 UTC 2010

Chris Smart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As discussed on a previous email, I'm studying a course on FOSS at the
> Australian National University
> (http://cs.anu.edu.au/students/comp8440) as part of their IT Master's
> program. Part of this requires me to write a report on a FOSS project,
> for which I've chosen K3b (cause it's awesome!).
>
> I have tried to discover as much as I can on my own, but there are a
> few things I was unable to discover. I'm hoping that those who might
> know the answers could find some time to provide non-detailed answers
> (one word answers are fine - I don't want to take up your time!). If
> not, no don't worry, I'm sure you all have much more important things
> to do! Anyway here they are, in case. Cheers.

I will answer for questions I know answer to.

> 1) Why was the GPLv2 chosen as the project's license?
>
> 2) Have there been any known legal issues facing the project, such as
> patent threats (DVD ripping, MP3 support, etc) or copyright
> violations?
>
> 3) Who has commit access to the SVN tree? All developers who have ever
> contributed, or is access subject to review?
Anyone who has KDE SVN account has a commit access to K3b tree. This is in
fact true for everything else in KDE repository.

> 4) Have there been any fork attempts?
I don't know of any.

> 5) What future plans are there for the project?
I've crated recently the Techbase page with developer info:
http://techbase.kde.org/K3b. It also contains Roadmap section:
http://techbase.kde.org/K3b#Roadmap

--
Best regards,