[k3b] What happens after 2.0

Michał Małek michalm at jabster.pl
Tue Mar 23 22:23:57 UTC 2010

Markus wrote:
> Am Freitag 19 März 2010 21:29:42 schrieb Michał Małek:
> > Agreed. I even don't mind a 6-month release cycle, it's long enough for
> > current development speed (which is rather slow).
>
> I was thinking... Now with the "Plasma Netbook Reference Platform" (you've
> probably read about it on Planet KDE), KDE SC 4.5 could use an easy to use
> image writer for USB flash drives.
> K3b 2.1 could support writing disk images to USB flash drives. Then release
> it simultaneously with SC 4.5 and if you aim for a 6-months cycle, you
> could even ask to include K3b into kdemultimedia. That would at least mean
> that you don't have to do any branching and such for yourself. OTOH that
> would also mean that K3b 2.1 is actively maintained until KDE SC 4.5.5.

I'd leave it in extragear. Let's see how the future releases actually turn
out. If 6-month release cycle will be working for K3b then we can think about
moving it back to SC.
As for support for USB disk images: it's interesting idea, I haven't thought
about it. Although I suspect they don't use GUI to create distro images,
rather some dedicated script.

--
Best regards,
Michał