Introducing myself to Gwenview-devel

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Jan 7 19:13:56 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'd like to introduce myself to Gwenview-devel having subscribed just now. I
have been active as Shlomi Fish (with the email shlomif at shlomifish.org) on both
the bugzilla and the reviewboard and decided to subscribe to this mailing list
for taking an even more active part in gwenview's ongoing development.

Anyway, my name is Shlomi Fish (see
http://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#your_name - it's the Romanised version of
my real name) and I'm also known by the nicknames "shlomif" and
"rindolf"/"Rindolf" (the latter I was told was easier for many non-Hebrew
speakers to fathom). I'm a software developer and writer (of fiction,
non-fiction, tech stuff, etc.) who lives in Tel Aviv, Israel.

Anyway, I've been actively using Linux and other UNIX-like systems since
about 1996, and have been using Mandrake→Mandriva→Mageia as my main desktop OS
since Linux Mandrake 7.1. I've been using the KDE desktop and some KDE
applications for several years, though lately I've been using primarily Xfce as
my desktop because Plasma 5 on Mageia Cauldron still has quite a few too many
quirks. (And Xfce gives me a different wallpaper per virtual desktop, which is
a feature that Plasma 5 lacks so far).

Anyway, I really like gwenview and use it as my image viewer/manipulator of
choice for several years now, and have contributed to it a little (and hope I
can contribute more). I was unable to find any decent open-source alternative to
it for Linux, especially after most GNOME apps became ultra-minimalistic and
annoying for me and many other people after the transition to GNOME 3.

You can learn more about me from my personal web site at
http://www.shlomifish.org/ and I also have some photos that I took on Flickr at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/albums (mostly under various Creative
Commons licences). I maintain a list of prominent graphics-related software
applications over at
http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/resources/graphics-programs/ and Gwenview
is mentioned there.

I don't consider myself an expert C++ developer, and I certainly lack a lot of
Qt/KF5 knowledge, but I can usually manage to write some small patches for bug
fixes.

I'm looking forward to collaborate with all of you.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

My Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/

Sisko: Q: would it be OK if my crew brought along their phasers with them?

Q: Of course. They can also bring some photon torpedoes if they wish. None of
them will work, but I don’t mind them taking them.