Re: Replacing the animal photos in the ‘erase’ activities

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sun Feb 20 17:24:06 GMT 2022

Timothée Giet skreiv 20.02.2022 17:58:
> Using webp images would surely help :)
> Even using it with some level of lossy compression would probably be
> acceptable.

Yes, the paintings are in theory well suited for lossy compression. The
only problem was that they contain transparency, which JPEG doesn’t
support. But WebP does, even *lossless* transparency (with lossy
compression for the non-transparent areas).

> But first thing before moving to it, is to make sure we can package it
> and make it work fine for all our supported platforms.

I hope it does. I have tested WebP on a few images, and while very high
compression levels (of course) did result in visible artefacts, these
artefacts were much less *annoying* than the corresponding JPEG
artefacts. So with WebP we can probably use both high resolution and
higher compression.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer