GCompris rss feed

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:09:53 UTC 2018

Le 21/05/2018 à 12:45, Horia PELLE a écrit :
> Karl Ove's thoughts about the rss news resonate with my thoughts.
> Indeed, for the translators without any git experience, it would be
> much easier to just translate a text in a PO file. Is there a size
> limit for PO files?
>
> Horia Pelle
>

> Pe 21 mai 2018 10:10, "Karl Ove Hufthammer" <karl at huftis.org
> <mailto:karl at huftis.org>> a scris:
>
>     Timothée Giet skreiv 19. mai 2018 11:17:
>>
>>     For the news, we use a little different system in which each news
>>     for each language is a different html file, so translators who
>>     want to translate the news should just clone the gcompris-net git
>>     repo and add translated news in the News folder. (see for
>>     example, 20180313.html is the base English file and
>>     20180313-fr.html is the French version)
>>
>>     Also if some people translate a news, please ping me here or on
>>     IRC and I'll update the website with it.
>>
>>     I think it would make the po file too heavy if we added every
>>     news to it. Also it's much more convenient and faster to
>>     translate a news and directly push it to the website, without
>>     going through the .po.
>>
>     Well for us translators, it’s certainly *not* more convenient and
>     faster to:
>
>     – Learn git and clone the gcompris-net repo – Find the .html file
>     and manually edit it – Monitor the source .html file and manually
>     apply any edits to our translation – Learn to create a pull
>     request for the translation
>
>     than to
>
>     – Just notice that there are some new strings in a .po file and
>     translate them (just like we do for all other KDE applications and
>     documentation).
>
>     Couldn’t you just include the two or three *latest* news items
>     (i.e. the news shown on the front page) in the PO file? Then the
>     .po file would never get very large.
>
>     -- Karl Ove Hufthammer

Hi,

I can understand from your comments that the solution I proposed is not
ideal for you, but still I would rather avoid to put the news in the po.

I don't want to restrict translations to just last 3 news, we would risk
to loose some history of existing news translated in French, and that
would also mean no backup for any older news translations, which is bad...)

Also another point is that I or Johnny do the FR translations, and
personally I really don't want to have to go through the po to add them,
it's already enough complicated setup (also on my side, I would need to
learn more of SVN and the process used to apply translations...) And
also I don't want to make a different setup for FR and other languages.

An other way we could do, that sounds easier for translators that don't
know git, would be:

-Each time we post a news, we also write a mail to translators list with
the news file to translate (would gcompris-devel list work, or better
use kde-i18n list? also it can be just a link to the html file to
download from git from browser, so no big email content issue, and no
git clone or commit involved for translators)

-When someone makes a news translation, send it to animtim at gcompris.net
with the contributor's name+email and I'll push it to git with the
author credit, and push the website update at the same time.

Another positive side of this solution is that it would be easier to
directly know when a news is translated and I have to push it on the
website, rather than having to monitor every day the po file...

The main difference remaining is that translatiors still would have to
edit inside the html file, but really that's not very technical... I'd
say it's easier to do that than most of the things involving po files,
or than learning SVN or GIT...

Could that work for you?

Timothée