GCompris rss feed

Horia PELLE horricane at gmail.com
Mon May 21 10:45:09 UTC 2018

Karl Ove's thoughts about the rss news resonate with my thoughts.
Indeed, for the translators without any git experience, it would be much
easier to just translate a text in a PO file. Is there a size limit for PO
files?

Horia Pelle

Pe 21 mai 2018 10:10, "Karl Ove Hufthammer" <karl at huftis.org> a scris:

Timothée Giet skreiv 19. mai 2018 11:17:

For the news, we use a little different system in which each news for each
language is a different html file, so translators who want to translate the
news should just clone the gcompris-net git repo and add translated news in
the News folder. (see for example, 20180313.html is the base English file
and 20180313-fr.html is the French version)

Also if some people translate a news, please ping me here or on IRC and
I'll update the website with it.

I think it would make the po file too heavy if we added every news to it.
Also it's much more convenient and faster to translate a news and directly
push it to the website, without going through the .po.

Well for us translators, it’s certainly *not* more convenient and faster to:

– Learn git and clone the gcompris-net repo – Find the .html file and
manually edit it – Monitor the source .html file and manually apply any
edits to our translation – Learn to create a pull request for the
translation

than to

– Just notice that there are some new strings in a .po file and translate
them (just like we do for all other KDE applications and documentation).

Couldn’t you just include the two or three *latest* news items (i.e. the
news shown on the front page) in the PO file? Then the .po file would never
get very large.

-- Karl Ove Hufthammer