[GSOC] Porting to Qt

Alexis B alexis95150 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 19:28:39 UTC 2018

Dear developers,

My name is Alexis Breton, I'm a french student in my second year
undergraduate in CS in the university of Montpellier. I would like to
contribute to GCompris and take part to the GSOC18 but this is the first
time I participate to an open source project.

I was firstly interested by developing the unit test framework but it looks
like Himanshu Vishwakarma has already started, so I would like to work on
porting and improve the old Gtk's activities.

I have a good level in C++ and beginner to Qt and QML. I've already forked,
built the Qt verison from Github and dove into the code. I wanted to start
contributing by fixing some bugs or improve some activities. I have some
ideas and already did a little commit on my fork but I don't really know
how to get reviewed : should I first post it on the mailing list, do a PR
on Github or do it through Phabricator ?

Regarding the GSOC project, I have some first ideas for my timeline's
proposal :
- Now : Take contact with the mentor, plan the number of activities that
will be ported and see which ones to do. ( I plan here for 3 activities but
I don't really realize the size of the work yet, so this has to be
discussed )
- From mid-March to mid-April : Get familiar with the code and Qt by
reading some documentation, fixing some bugs and add some improves to
GCompris.
- From mid-April to 13th May : Study the activities and their Gtk's code to
understand how they work and what improvements could be done.
- 14th May to 10th June : Port first activity in Qt
- 11th June to 17th June : Testing the first activity and fix bugs
- 18th June to 8th July : Port second activity
- 2d July to 8th August : Test second activity
- 9th July to 29th July : Port third activity
- 30th July to 5th August : Test third activity

Of course this is only a first sketch and I'll look into this in more
details. I hope I could have a feedback and take part to the project.

Thank you for your attention

Best regards,
Alexis Breton