[GCompris-devel] Ideas for activities

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun Mar 20 17:15:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your proposal, see my remarks bellow.

Le 20/03/2016 15:36, Komal Parmaar a écrit :
> Hi,
> This is Komal Parmaar (IRC - parmaarK)
>
> Kindly review the following ideas and give suggestions
>
> 1. Safety measures activity - The aim of this would be to learn the
> safety measures for everyday activities. This will include the following:
> *      Road Crossing - *vehicles would be there on the road and the
> child has to cross the road taking all the proper measures like
> crossing only when there is no traffic on the road, through the zebra
> crossing, and not to run on the road or walk very slowing, etc. Once
> he crosses the road without fail (accident/improper behavior), he
> clears the level. The traffic and type of roads will become complex
> with each level.
I am not a big fan of this kind of activity, it would have to manage
many cultural differences, requires a lot of graphism for a poor added
value.

>      *Electricity handling - *This would include the way a child
> handles electrical gadgets. Clean hands (not wet), usage of plugs and
> sockets and switches. This activity could allow the child to follow
> the instruction to set a lamp (say). If he puts the plug to the socket
> properly and then switches on the lamp, then +1 level. If switched on
> before plugging, then do it again. (This is just an example, can be
> fine tuned)
Same as before.

> 2. Reading a calendar - Just like reading the clock activity. A date
> would be flashed on the screen and the child has to play with the
> calendar and go to the exact date. The levels : just the month, then
> the date, then day, year, leap year, etc.
Interesting, we miss something to teach dates. I really like the idea we
miss that.

> 3. Food chain - A simple activity to demonstrate the working of food
> chains. There would be animal (or participants of the food chain), and
> there would be boxes with arrows (An empty food chain). Once the child
> drags the participants to their positions in the chain of boxes, the
> participants would animate to form the food chain eating each other.
> In case the highest level animal stay in the end of animation
> (balanced food chain), the level completes, else error and the child
> has to do it again.
There is something to do in this area if we don't do a puzzle out of it.
I expect something more live than just dragging items in the proper place.

> 4. Improvements in Baby Wordprocessor - Would like to extend this to
> add features like Bold, Italics, Underlined, change the font color,
> font size (in addition to the Title, Paragraph and subtitle), font
> style etc.
It was just a design decision to force children to use styles and not
have manual formatting. Perhaps not a wise one but it's my attempt to
help people understand and use styles. Better start sooner.

> 5. Half words - A word is sliced into half (from the middle -
> horizontally) and only one half is shown. The child has to guess the
> word correctly and either type in or I can provide the missing pieces
> of each letter and the child could just drag the piece together to
> make the full word.
This one is interesting, we miss activities in the reading / writing area.