[GCompris-devel] Idea Discussion

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun Mar 20 10:56:39 UTC 2016

Le 20/03/2016 11:01, Diksha Bhateja a écrit :
> Hi,
> I want to discuss some ideas for the activities for GCompris.
>
> 1) Dots and Boxes game : It is same as usual Dots and Boxes game.
> Starting with an empty grid of dots, players take turns adding a
> single horizontal or vertical line between two /unjoined/ adjacent
> dots. The player who completes the fourth side of a 1×1 box earns one
> point and takes another turn. This game will have a choice either the
> 1 player game, in which second player will be Tux or the 2 players
> game. This improves the thinking ability of the kid.
Hi,

I am not a big fan of this but why not. This seems more like an activity
that can be played and used to be played on paper. I believe that with a
computer in hand we should find more educational use than just mimicking
the paper.

> 2) Swap the numbers : A box containing some numbers is given. The
> numbers are given in wrong order. Kid has to swap the inner boxes to
> make numbers in correct order. Kid can swap only adjacent boxes
> (either in same row or same column). For swapping what kid actually
> needs to do is, He clicked on 1 box, that box get selected and when he
> selects the next box, both these boxes will get swapped. I have
> attached the image of sample example. As the level increases, the
> number of boxes get increased. In this we can also consider one more
> point is kid should do minimum swaps required to solve that problem.
> It also helps in improving the thinking ability of the kid.
We already have it in the 'fifteen' activity.

> 3) Memory game : List of some random words is shown on the screen for
> some seconds. Kids need to read and memorizes the words. After that
> list vanishes and few questions will shown on screen one by one,
> asking that particular word was in the list or not. As the level of
> the game increases, the number of words and complexity of words in the
> list increases. This activity is to enhance the memory of the kid.
We have it in 'readingh' and 'readingv'. As GCompris grows it becomes
harder and harder to to something new.

> 4) Pong game : I want to include this activity under the fun section.
> The player controls an in-game paddle by moving it vertically across
> the one side of the screen, and can compete against either a
> computer-controlled opponent or another player controlling a second
> paddle on the opposing side. Players use the paddles to hit a ball
> back and forth.
> or Air Hockey Game : All the rules will remain same as usual Air
> Hockey game.

Too gamish to me. I am fine adding activities that are more game
orientated but it needs to but more educational than that.

Please focus a little bit more on the goal of GCompris, on what we have
done and on the idea we have listed. This will help you make a better
proposal.