[GCompris-devel] Ideas

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Wed Mar 16 09:57:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your proposal, see me answers bellow.

Le 14/03/2016 11:14, Komal Parmaar a écrit :
> Hi
> I am Komal Parmaar. (LNMIIT, Jaipur)
> Would like to work for GCompris and have some idea for new activities
> that i wish to contribute.
>
> The first activity - Pack_your_bag activity. In this the kid will be
> given an instruction (say, a time table for the day)  and list of
> things which he needs to pack. Among all things, the kid should drag
> and drop only the required items to his bag according to the
> instruction provided. This will develop a self-help attitude in the
> kid to pack his school/travel bag on his own and thus making him
> independent.
> There will be levels : the basic would be to just pack the basic
> school bag { water bottle, lunchbox, notebook and pencil-box } which
> would later increase to packing the books according to the time-table
> for the class. ( say, an arts class in the time-table would require a
> drawing notebook and colors too ).
> [/I would like to introduce a back to school section which will
> prepare students for their school-related activities. For example,
> Packing the school bag according to the timetable of classes./]
I am not a big fan of this kind of behavioral activities. I really
prefer us to focus on core subjects like math, science or reading or
other topic that open children to topics like music. I believe it
requires too much efforts to do compare to what it teaches.

> The second activity - Jumbled_words activity. Jumbled letters
> (shuffled) of a word will be given. The kid will have to type the
> correct spelling of the word by guessing the correct word from the
> jumbled letters. An onclick Hint is provided which the kid can click
> to get some visual help. This will help the child to remember the
> spellings as well as mental ability to guess the meaningful word out
> of shuffled letters.
Very interesting, playing with letters and reading.

> The third activity - How_many_blocks activity. An image will be
> presented with 4 options to choose from. The kid has to choose the
> correct option corresponding to the number of blocks in the image.
> Ability -> counting + differentiating boundaries of similar objects.
> The complexity of the image will increase with the levels.
> Attached herewith a sample image for this activity.
It is close to  our enumerate activity. In this one the children can
move the blocks to ease the counting and there are several type of items
to play with. What I don't like in your proposal is that the children
cannot interact with the image. It is nothing more than a quiz and I
don't like quizzes.