[GCompris-devel] Regarding the new approach for search feature

RISHABH GUPTA rishabh9511 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 07:11:58 UTC 2016

Hello,

After reading the latest comment from JohnnyJ here
https://github.com/bdoin/GCompris-qt/pull/110
which was regarding the explanation of the new approach that bdoin
suggested ,I now understand the new approach a  bit better but would still
need some time to think about how it could be coded.

Thinking about how this could be coded is a secondary issue for me ,what's
more important is that  we first discuss whether or not it will be  worth
it  to take out time for this new approach and replace it with the existing
one ?

I will list some points both from the  users and developers point of view
that might help us take a decision on this new approach :

User :
1.Do we get better search results with the new approach ?
Moreover how exactly do we define that one search result is better than the
other?To me it's displaying the activities in the ascending difficulty
order ,which is good for the kids and which  we are already doing with the
existing approach

Developers:
1.What do we gain with the new approach
  a. less memory usage?
  b. less time for searching the activities?
  c. better code readability ?

If the answer to the above points is yes then how much do we gain ?

We have already been working on the optimisation and code readability part
of the existing feature and are almost done with that .So if we don't
diverge our mind on thinking about this new approach ,in very short amount
of time we will able to bring the search feature  to GCompris.

Thank you :)