[GCompris-devel] Division - new activity

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 12:12:11 UTC 2016

> Hi everybody,
>
> I did not give any dead line ;)
> I just said that in two months I am teaching sharing (not division but
> that leads to it. )
> Having close to no time between holidays, I like Bdoin and Johnny time
> approach that I understood like "it will be finished when it will be
> finished, no rush".
>

> And I did not ask for an exe either :) I just said that in my class we
> only have windows pc.

Not related to the activity, but there is a beta version for Windows if you
want to test it ;).

> [...]
> What I do with cards at the moment when I teach to solve division problem
> is the following.
>
> For example I write on the board,
>
> I have 9 candies and I want to share them equally between 1 boy and two
> girls.
>
> In a first step I have
> 9 cards showing each one a candy; one 1 boy card and 2 girl cards
> Pupils have to place the three boy and girls cards in front of them, then
> distributes. Which gives the result of the sharing..
>
> 2nd step
> I have many cards with boys and girls and many cards with candies
> This time pupils must prepare themselves the material (1 boy card and 2
> girl cards) and 9 candies cards.
> Then they then distributes, and this gives the results to the sharing.
>
> have a good day,
>
> Emmanuel (Allon)

>> Hi everyone!
>>

>> I noticed that we don't have a division/splitting activity and i started
>> working on one. This is what i did so far: https://youtu.be/Lgb9UcxkiOI
>>

>> The purpose of the activity is to teach children how to divide a number
>> to another one. I was thinking about having some candies to split to a
>> number of children, based on level's difficulty
>>
>> - level 1 - 1 candy to 1 child - 1:1=1;  2 candies to 1 child - 2:1=2 etc.
>>
>> - level 2 - 4 candies to 2 children means 2 candies to each child
>> - 4:2=2, 6:2=3 etc.
>>
>> For that i used some colored rectangles: green rectangles from top are
>> for candies that are not yet "eaten", red, blue, black, yellow
>> rectangles in the bottom are children to which you have to split the
>> candies. You have to touch a child (red, blue, black, yellow) and then a
>> candy (green) to give it to him. If you split the candies equally, you will
>> go to the next sublevel/level. You can chose any candies in anyway you
>> like, but you have to split them equally.
>>
>> Of course, the video i posted is a demo; i didn't want to invest too much
>> time into something that no one would like to use eventually (i hope that's
>> not the case). That being said, it is only natural that the
>> colored rectangles will be replaced with some nice pictures of candies
>> and children.
>>
>> For the purpose of the video, i wrote a number on each green rectangle:
>> the number of candies that each child gets. When the two numbers are equal,
>> then you go to the next sublevel/level. Lets say i want to give 6 candies
>> to 2 children: i will then give each one 3 candies
>> https://youtu.be/Lgb9UcxkiOI?t=27s. This number should be shown
>> underneath the colored rectangles (there is a "0" displayed there), but i
>> haven't linked it this way yet.
>>

>> A nice improvement could be instead of clicking on children and then on
>> candies to give them to the children, to drag the candies on top of a child
>> and make an animation like he eats the candy.
>>

>> There is the enumerate activity where we have the possibility to drag and
drop objects. Also the scalesweight ones where we drag drop to specific
places.

I talked to allon on irc and he gave me some ideas:

>> - we should let the user decide how many children to split the candies
>> to, or even how many candies to have in total

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to let the child decide by default how
many candies/children. Can be interesting for classrooms, but I'm not sure
it's a good idea for children at home, if they play alone?

> - the final product should look exponentially better than the demo in my
>> video (i showed the video to some friends and parents and no one understood
>> anything without me explaining what the games is about, so it has to be
>> more intuitive).
>>
>> - he also gave me a 2 months deadline (this is when he teaches division
>> in his classes) and he would like to have an exe file (for his windows
>> computers) - which i know is possible because Johnny built a version of it
>> some time ago.
>>
> So no deadline and no obligation of Windows version :). Anyway, there is
no specific code to not make it work on different platforms :).

>> I am writing to you to ask for your feedback: first of all, do you like
>> the idea? Do you think it is worth working at and would you integrate it
>> after i finish it?
>>
>> If i manage to do it, can you help me with some cool animations (i'm kind
>> of new at the animation part) ?

Sure,

Johnny