[GCompris-devel] Division - new activity

Stefan TONCU stefan.toncu at cti.pub.ro
Thu Feb 11 13:43:52 UTC 2016

Hi everyone!

I noticed that we don't have a division/splitting activity and i started working on one. This is what i did so far: https://youtu.be/Lgb9UcxkiOI

The purpose of the activity is to teach children how to divide a number to another one. I was thinking about having some candies to split to a number of children, based on level's difficulty

- level 1 - 1 candy to 1 child - 1:1=1;  2 candies to 1 child - 2:1=2 etc.

- level 2 - 4 candies to 2 children means 2 candies to each child - 4:2=2, 6:2=3 etc.

For that i used some colored rectangles: green rectangles from top are for candies that are not yet "eaten", red, blue, black, yellow rectangles in the bottom are children to which you have to split the candies. You have to touch a child (red, blue, black, yellow) and then a candy (green) to give it to him. If you split the candies equally, you will go to the next sublevel/level. You can chose any candies in anyway you like, but you have to split them equally.

Of course, the video i posted is a demo; i didn't want to invest too much time into something that no one would like to use eventually (i hope that's not the case). That being said, it is only natural that the colored rectangles will be replaced with some nice pictures of candies and children.

For the purpose of the video, i wrote a number on each green rectangle: the number of candies that each child gets. When the two numbers are equal, then you go to the next sublevel/level. Lets say i want to give 6 candies to 2 children: i will then give each one 3 candies https://youtu.be/Lgb9UcxkiOI?t=27s. This number should be shown underneath the colored rectangles (there is a "0" displayed there), but i haven't linked it this way yet.

A nice improvement could be instead of clicking on children and then on candies to give them to the children, to drag the candies on top of a child and make an animation like he eats the candy.

I talked to allon on irc and he gave me some ideas:

- we should let the user decide how many children to split the candies to, or even how many candies to have in total

- the final product should look exponentially better than the demo in my video (i showed the video to some friends and parents and no one understood anything without me explaining what the games is about, so it has to be more intuitive).

- he also gave me a 2 months deadline (this is when he teaches division in his classes) and he would like to have an exe file (for his windows computers) - which i know is possible because Johnny built a version of it some time ago.

I am writing to you to ask for your feedback: first of all, do you like the idea? Do you think it is worth working at and would you integrate it after i finish it?

If i manage to do it, can you help me with some cool animations (i'm kind of new at the animation part) ?

Thank you for your time and suggestions,

Steven

(StefanToncu on irc)