[GCompris-devel] GCompris refused on iOS

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Wed Feb 3 11:30:05 UTC 2016

Le 03/02/2016 09:24, Holger Kaelberer a écrit :

> On 02.02.2016 23:11, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
>>

>> Le 02/02/2016 22:45, Karl Ove Hufthammer a écrit :
>>> Bruno Coudoin skreiv 02. feb. 2016 22:07:

>>> I don’t agree with the proposal to remove all Web links on all
>>> platforms. It’s useful to have the
>>> Web links to Wikipedia in various activities. But it would be OK to
>>> (automatically) *disable* the
>>> links (i.e. make them non-clickable URLs) on *the iOS platform*, but
>>> leave them as normal links on
>>> other platforms.
>>
>> Hum, we have to weight the pro and cons. Starting a web browser from
>> GCompris when a teacher or a
>> parent consider the children in a walled garden is too dangerous. We
>> still display links and it is
>> not so hard to find them in most cases.
>>
>> One trade of we can do it that a link click would copy itself to the
>> clipboard with a little tooltip
>> explaining that. Then if the children has access to a browser he just
>> have to paste it. You like it?
>
> Another possibility would be to make behaviour configurable. To let a
> potential teacher decide whether he does *not* want children to inform
> themselves further by following http links. And leave default to "yes,
> you can use the web to learn more".
If we want to go there we need to have an adult section. I saw an app
that hides the configuration behind a math question like how much does
'47 + 12' to avoid smaller children break the configuration. To me it is
too risky to let the children open a browser like this so anyway this
option if we get there must be off by default on all platforms.

You may think of a parent doing a desktop without a browser and see the
children on the web after playing on GCompris.

> I agree with Karl that external links that serve to learn more are a
> good thing to have.
>
> In general I don't like the idea to change overall behaviour on all
> platforms just because of the policy of a commercial vendor (of
> apples, or robots). (I see your concerns in this point of course,
> Bruno.) If apples are different from the rest of the fruits make an
> exception for them.
I agree with you but I do believe Apple's remark makes sense. We have no
reason to refuse and idea because it comes from Apple. Let's look at the
rationale behind it and consider it like we would from any parent,
teacher or school or organization willing to use GCompris.

> Regarding download location, DataLocation fits semantically imho
> better than CacheLocation for GCompris data. And if this shall be
> changed again GCompris should probably again take care to clean up the
> old location (as was done when switching from data/ to data2/) or we
> annoy users by wasting space. Why not make an exception here for apples?

Here again, I believe Apple is right. Our voice is really a 'cache' more
than a 'data'. In data we would put session information or content
created by the user. If you erase it you loose user generated content. A
cache can be erased at anytime and be recreated without lose anything
except bandwidth.